At Marvin Law Office,
protecting your family is

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

On this page, we will answer some of the most commonly asked questions we get at Marvin Law Office, L.L.C. We hope this information is useful. For answers to more specific questions that you have about your family law matters, schedule a consultation with our attorney, Joseph E. Marvin.

How Long Does It Take To Get Divorced?

The amount of time your divorce lasts will depend on several factors, but on average, it takes about 11 months in the U.S., starting with the initial filing and ending with the final settlement. If your case ends up in court, it could take several more months.

I Want To Move Out Of State With My Child, But My Co-Parent Objects. What Can I Do?

In Minnesota, you can seek a modification of your child custody order to relocate with your children. If your co-parent does not agree to the move, you and your attorney can take the dispute to court. As with all custody matters, the children’s best interests are the most important factor. You will have to show that the benefits of the move outweigh the reduced amount of time the kids will see their noncustodial parent.

Is It Okay For Me To Talk About My Divorce On Social Media?

Be very careful. It can be tempting to vent about your ex on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. But keep in mind your ex’s attorney could be monitoring your social media for evidence that you are an unfit parent or are hiding assets. We recommend you avoid discussing your divorce until it is complete, or at least make sure you do not post anything you would not mind reading out loud before a judge.

What If I Cannot Afford To Pay Child Support/Alimony Anymore?

If the level of support you were ordered to pay at the time of your divorce is more than you can now afford, you can seek a modification. You may be able to negotiate a reduction with your ex or go to court to show that your financial circumstances have changed. Similarly, if you receive spousal or child support and the funds are no longer adequate, you can request an increase.

My Spouse Lives Outside Of Minnesota. Where Do I File For Divorce?

If both you and your spouse have established residency in the states where you live, you can file for divorce either here in Minnesota or in your spouse’s state. This can be a complicated question. Your attorney will advise you on your best strategy.

More Questions About Minnesota Family Law?

Call 763-200-5754 or toll-free 800-585-1385 to contact Marvin Law Office, L.L.C., at our Anoka office. You can also use our online intake form.