At Marvin Law Office,
protecting your family is

Establishing Paternity Of A Child

Are you an unmarried birth mother seeking to establish paternity for the purpose of receiving child support — or an unmarried father with the same objective, to become closer with your child through parenting time?

The child custody, visitation and child support attorney with the experience and expertise to handle your complex paternity issues in Anoka County and the northern Twin Cities is Joseph E. Marvin. The law firm Joseph Marvin founded with people like you in mind is the Marvin Law Office, L.L.C. — faithfully and successfully serving a broad range of family law clients for more than 30 years.

The Paternity Process

Paternity may be established in one of three ways:

  • If a child’s parents are married to each other when the child is born, there is a legal presumption that the husband is the child’s father. This may be challenged if genetic testing reveals there is a 99 percent chance that another man is the child’s father.
  • A father may also establish paternity by completing a voluntary acknowledgement form when a child is born and submitting it. A court hearing will be scheduled to legally establish paternity.
  • Genetic testing is often done to either challenge a marital presumption or to definitively identify a father of a child if there are doubts about his paternity.

Paternity For Unmarried Parents

Establishing paternity for parents who are not married. Unless a father has been recognized as the legal father of a child, he will not be entitled to any custody or parenting time with a child. Paternity also gives a father the right to join in decisions about a child’s health and medical care, education and religion. If you are an unmarried father who has not yet established paternity, you should strongly consider doing so.

Our Experience With Paternity Cases

Joe Marvin expertly handles cases on behalf of fathers asserting paternity rights and mothers who need payments of past and future child support. Our skilled lawyer can assist in executing your desire to undergo paternity testing to establish custody rights and a parenting time routine, and he can determine appropriate levels of child support. He can also represent an unmarried father’s denial of paternity.

While most mothers usually have the law already on their side in a paternity matter, fathers should also have experienced legal representation in their corner. If you are an unmarried father in Minnesota, you should be aware that you may owe as much as two years’ worth of retroactive child support payments, birthing expenses, previous child care expenses and reimbursement of public assistance to a co-parent — and that you will enjoy no custodial rights unless you are aggressive in seeking them.

Schedule Your Consultation To Discuss Your Paternity Options

For your financial comfort and convenience, schedule your initial consultation with Anoka paternity lawyer Joe Marvin. Contact Marvin Law Office, L.L.C., for consultation at this toll-free number: 800-585-1385. We are also available by email.