Call Today for a FREE Consultation
Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Local: 763-200-5754

Family Law Archives

Child support and joint custody: what parents need to know

Child support obligations are usually determined by the regulations found in the Child Support Standards Act, but that all changes with joint custody. When parents share custody of a child, a variety of additional factors will need to be taken into consideration. In the state of Minnesota, a very specific formula is used to determine how much a parent will pay in child support if custody is shared.

The financial challenges faced by divorced women

Ending a marriage usually involves making a number of financial adjustments. A recent study from the online marketplace Worthy suggests that many divorced women in Minnesota and around the country are not prepared to meet these challenges. Worthy polled 1,785 women who were either considering a divorce or had already taken steps to end their marriages, and almost half of them said that they had encountered one or more unexpected financial setbacks.

Paying child support while disabled

Unexpectedly developing a disability can significantly impair a parent's ability to work and pay any required child support. Minnesota parents who are required to pay child support should know that a disability does not end their duty to make child support payments. However, there may be modifications made to their existing payment arrangements that take into account their disability.

Studies find rise in women paying child support and alimony

When some Minnesota women get a divorce, they might be more likely to be responsible for paying child support or alimony than in the past according to a survey by the American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers. A Pew Research study found that in around 40 percent of families, women are the breadwinners. However, although alimony has been gender neutral since a 1979 Supreme Court ruling, some women are still unprepared for the possibility of having to pay spousal or child support. Furthermore, being the breadwinner does not mean these women are immune from being in abusive relationships.

Child support collection process improved

Minnesota families dependent upon payroll collections of child support will be pleased to know the federal agency in charge of coordinating deductions and payments is improving its platform in hopes of increased efficiency. Over $33 billion in child support payments was collected in 2016, the last annual reporting period, and roughly 75% came through payroll deductions. The federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) recently announced improvements to their collections process designed to better fulfill its mission of assisting state agencies with enforcing court-ordered payment obligations.

How to succeed at parenting after the divorce

As many Minnesota estranged couples know, parenting does not stop after a divorce, but it can become more challenging. There are some things, however, that parents can do to ensure that their children find constancy and stability even when they are splitting their time between two homes.

What happens to child support if a parent becomes disabled

Many Minnesota parents who have custody of their children rely on child support to make ends meet. However, the other parent could potentially become disabled, making it more difficult for them to make the child support payments that they owe. If a custodial parent suddenly finds that the other parent has become disabled, there are several questions that need to be addressed.

Advice for a Smooth and Successful Step-Parent Adoption

Just because someone goes through a divorce does not mean that they will never find marriage again. In fact, many people who get divorced look to get remarried. When someone gets remarried to someone with children, they often worry about how they will be received by the children. After all, marrying someone with kids requires being accepted by the children as well.

The value of child support in Minnesota

The goal of child support is to ensure that single parents are able to provide for their children. In spite of the fact that the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement collects billions of dollars in support payments each year, a very large percentage of parents are not receiving the child support they are owed. According to data from the 2016 U.S. Census Bureau, about 67 percent of single mothers receive what they are owed, compared to nearly 75 percent of single fathers.

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.

Firm Location:

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.
2150 Third Avenue North
Anoka, MN 55303

Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Phone: 763-200-5754
Fax: 763-427-1178
Anoka Law Office Map

Firm Numbers: