At Marvin Law Office,
protecting your family is

Child support leading cause of wage garnishments

On Behalf of | Oct 16, 2017 | Family Law

Many Minnesota workers have their wages garnished because they have fallen behind on their child support or student loan payments. A study that was conducted into wage garnishment and that was based on 2016 payroll data sheds light on its primary causes.

According to the ADP Research Institute, 7 percent of Americans have their wages garnished. The percentages vary widely across industries and age groups. For example, 26 percent of men between the ages of 35 and 55 who work in Midwestern large manufacturing companies have their wages garnished, and many of them have at least two garnishments from their checks. Of those with garnishments, 71 percent are men.

The primary cause of wage garnishments is child support, which accounts for 3 percent. Student loans and consumer loans follow at 2.9 percent while tax levies account for 1.5 percent. Among people with garnishments, 12 percent have multiple types. Wage garnishments have negative impacts on the workers against whom they are assessed as well as on their employers. Employers must comply with the garnishment orders and the governing regulations when they have employees with garnishments.

Garnishment orders are issued in order to secure payment of child support. They are an effective means to help ensure that those obligations are paid. When people fall behind on their child support payments, the other parents might want to get help from family law attorneys who can file motions with the court requesting that the court takes action to compel payments. In addition to garnishment orders, the attorneys may also be able to secure liens against the property of the non-paying parent and seizures of their tax returns. It is important for parents to keep up with the child support payments. If they are having trouble making their payments because their financial situations have changed, they might want to have legal assistance when seeking modifications of the amounts.

How Can We Help You?