Call Today for a FREE Consultation
Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Local: 763-200-5754

Blocking a noncustodial parent from contacting a child

Due to the improvement in communications and technology, Minnesota parents are finding it easier to stay in contact with their child even if they spend the majority of their time with their other parent. However, there may be cases where the custodial parent does not want the child to be in contact with the noncustodial parent. Although custodial parents generally cannot block the other parent from contacting the child, there are certain circumstances where the court may limit communication.

For example, the court may block the noncustodial parent from having contact with the children if the parent is harassing them. The court may also block the parent if the parent has a history of domestic violence or abuse. Otherwise, the court will likely not allow the custodial parent to block the noncustodial parent. This is because blocking the child from the noncustodial parent may actually cause harm to the child, especially if the child and the noncustodial parent have a strong relationship.

If custodial parents believe that the noncustodial parent is using virtual communication to harass or abuse the child, they should document the abuse. They should then go to court to request a modification to the child custody order in order to prevent the noncustodial parent from contacting the child.

When custodial parents have evidence that the noncustodial parent is using virtual communication to continuously harass or abuse the child, it is recommended that they contact a family law attorney. The attorney may use the evidence that the custodial parent has collected in the petition to change the child custody order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.

Firm Location:

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.
2150 Third Avenue North
Anoka, MN 55303

Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Phone: 763-200-5754
Fax: 763-427-1178
Anoka Law Office Map

Firm Numbers: