At Marvin Law Office,
protecting your family is

Support modification could help you compensate for misfortune

On Behalf of | Jun 13, 2016 | Divorce

If you are a parent who is obligated to pay child support, you likely can ill afford to experience a steep decrease in your income. But what can you do if, through no fault of your own, you can no longer afford to make your payments?

Of course, in a perfect world, we would always be able to control all the important aspects of our lives. As such, we would never succumb to illness or suffer a serious injury. We would also never be laid off or otherwise lack secure employment and a steady paycheck. Unfortunately, we all live under the threat of potential misfortune and all we can do if something bad happens is to try to adapt to the situation.

So if you are contending with financial difficulties that are preventing you from making your child support payments, you may want to seek a modification of your support agreement. If you meet the required conditions, a judge can have an adjustment made so the amount you owe is more in line with what you can afford to pay.

But such a modification is not automatic and you will have to demonstrate that you have a legitimate cause for having your agreement altered. And we at the Marvin Law Office are experienced at providing help to clients who come to us needing post-judgment modifications on their child support payments.

If you are dealing with sudden life changes that have left you in a financial bind, please feel free to contact our offices so we can discuss the ways in which we may be able to help you adapt to your new circumstances.

How Can We Help You?