At Marvin Law Office,
protecting your family is

What steps can be taken to get a parent to pay child support?

On Behalf of | May 23, 2016 | Child Support

If you are a single parent, you are likely aware of how expensive it is to properly provide for your child. You may even be struggling to simply keep up with the costs of housing, food and clothing. And your children may have activities and lessons that are also part your household budget. So, if you depend on child support to help pay for all of these routine expenses, it is critical that the payments arrive on time every month.

Unfortunately, sometimes a support-paying parent may fail to keep up with his or her obligations by not making due payments. This can leave the other parent in a financial bind and may even affect the child’s well-being.

But what corrective measures can be taken to hold a delinquent support-payer accountable? Well, one of the first things you could do is seek to have a judge issue a court order to the delinquent payer. This order, typically served by a district attorney, will contain instructions for setting up a payment arrangement.

If the delinquent payer does not follow the court order and continues to fail to make payments, it may be necessary to apply sterner measures. These measures can include:

  • Wage garnishment.
  • Suspension of business licenses.
  • Property seizure.
  • Driver’s license revocation.
  • Suspension of occupational licenses.

It is also possible that funds from the delinquent payer’s federal tax return can be withheld and used to cover child support. And as a last resort, a delinquent payer may have to serve a jail sentence.

If you are having problems in this area, you may benefit from the services of a Minnesota family law attorney. An attorney can offer you advice and act on your behalf in an effort to get you and your child the support payments to which you are legally entitled.

How Can We Help You?