We are just two days from 2016. Time for those of us who believe in New Year’s resolutions to figure out what changes we want to try to make in our lives in the coming year.
For those going through divorce, this can be a chance to make the process as smooth and successful as possible. Nothing is guaranteed, but with a solid, constructive plan, you may be able to wrap up your divorce in 2016 with a satisfactory settlement, and begin the process of moving on with your life.
The Huffington Post has several suggestions for divorce-related New Year’s resolutions. Here they are:
- Get the divorce done next year. If there are any lingering disagreements, resolve to work them out with your ex.
- Stop using your divorce to fight old battles. Avoid dragging out the proceedings to settle the same old scores that caused the divorce in the first place. This is not the way to get closure.
- Update your finances. You will probably want to amend your estate plan and insurance policies so that your ex is no longer the beneficiary or executor. You may also wish to meet with a financial expert to help you readjust your retirement and similar goals.
- Don’t put your kids in the middle. Avoid badmouthing your ex in their presence, and never withhold the ex’s rightful child custody, visitation or child support. Instead, do your best to work together as co-parents.
- Forgive. This means forgiving your ex for his or her failings — and forgiving yourself too. Forgiveness can be very freeing for the forgiver.
Here’s hoping that 2016 will be a great year for all of our readers.