Call Today for a FREE Consultation
Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Local: 763-200-5754

Grandparents have right to seek parenting time, custody in Minn.

No doubt many of our readers have warm memories of their grandparents from their childhoods. Grandmas and grandpas can be playmates, babysitters and teachers. They may help their grandchildren learn about the world around them, how to tell right from wrong, and many other important lessons.

Grandparents play a vital role in many children’s lives. Sometimes, they must step in to become the primary caregivers, if the parents are unable or unwilling to continue this responsibility. In many ways, grandparents’ role in the raising of children is larger now than perhaps any other time in Minnesota history.

However, sometimes the relationship between a child’s parents and grandparents is not so warm and close, especially if the parents have divorced. The custodial parent may choose to cut off access to the grandkids, sometimes for good reason, sometimes not.

Grandparents in Anoka County who have been forbidden from seeing their grandchildren may petition the family law court to intervene. Though parents have a constitutional right to raise their children as they see fit, and choose which relatives they do and do not get to see, their rights are not unlimited. Grandparents can seek custody or parenting time, though it can be a challenge to convince the court that granting custody or visitation is in the child’s best interest.

Family drama can be painful, but there may be legal options where attempts to heal interpersonal rifts have failed. A family law attorney can examine your case and provide advice on what your next course of action should be.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.

Firm Location:

Marvin Law Office, L.L.C.
2150 Third Avenue North
Anoka, MN 55303

Toll Free: 800-585-1385
Phone: 763-200-5754
Fax: 763-427-1178
Anoka Law Office Map

Firm Numbers: